This is a simple table which would list out commonly used services with a quick look. I’ve tried to sum-up service configuration at the basic level, so, this table would provide a quick look on packages required to start service, config files to be used, ports to be opened via firewall, command to check for syntax errors(if any) and commands to bring up service. This is not an exclusive information regarding configuring a service in Linux, but just a quick look sheet. Also note that I've tried to list out most commonly used services.
- For Red Hat variant systems.
- In RHEL7.x, need to use “systemctl start <servicename>” to start respective service.
- Respective ports needs to open in firewall unless it is turned off.
- These config files may change in other Linux variants such as Ubuntu, Debian etc.,
- Only main config files are listed out, there may be additional config files that needs to be configured based on needs.
- *under ‘packages required’ I’ve listed dependent package within curly braces.
- These configurations works perfect in RHEL6.x environment and it may slightly change in advanced versions.